Saturday, June 6, 2009

L.A. Examiner Blogs About Paciugo Gelato at Hermosa Beach Farmer's Market


The beach cities are always more humid after a rainy day and sitting in the house with the sun streaming is never very fun. On days like this is am glad to find there is a Farmers’ Market running everyday, you just have to find it. Luckily this is the internet age and in a few clicks we can load up in the car in search of fresh fruits, veggies and surprises. In the car we discuss where we are going and as I say Farmers’ Market my little darlings groan in chorus until they hear it is Hermosa Beach. “Hey, Gelato!” they cry, again in unison. Gelato, I don’t remember there being gelato at the market. No, I say with confidence there isn’t gelato there, just the usual seasonal treats and maybe we can get some lovely oranges for fresh sorbet. They insist though and I relent that we can look for the booth.
Walking up to the market it is easy to see this will be a quick visit, it is a smaller fair. The usual suspects all lined up, apples with homemade apple butter, fresh heirloom tomatoes, ugly yes but so yummy. There are piles and piles of Hass Avocados, which the vendor has kindly made in to a lovely guacamole for sampling. The sun glimmering off the sneeze guards, those acrylic shields over the lovely arrays of samples, bites of orange, plums, grapefruits with scads of toothpicks for picking. This is a fine way to kill an hour or two and it is refreshing to see my kids have relaxed and begun to enjoy themselves.
We turn the hook just passed the Kettle corn, bacon wrapped hotdogs and there it is Paciugo, a gelato stand. I am awe struck, what a brilliant idea! Gelato is healthier, lower in fat and as I confirm with the owner, made fresh daily from whole milk. I realize I will not be making sorbet tonight. The selection was small, only four trays, compared to the huge selection in their store, but what tastes. I truly loved the Sea Salt Caramel, it was luscious and I couldn’t wait to get it home and experiment with some desserts. I think it will make a lovely frozen Tiramisu type dessert; I will have to let you know how it turns out.
Paciugo is at Manhattan Beach Market Tuesday and El Segundo on Thursday, of course you can find them at their store any day: 1034 Hermosa Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA.

Source:http://www.examiner.com/x-13024-LA-Farmers-Market-Examiner~y2009m6d5-The-Kids-Were-Right

No comments: